Frets and strings
Control and indications
Algorithm of note detection
The following midi-files are live-recorded in Cake Walk without any post-processing.
Tryndelka was connected to PC with standard MIDI-to-PC cable to game port of SB Live!
soundcard. Recording quality is corresponding to last analog scheme with dynamic range
compensation. Its seems that now the main source of errors is mechanical imperfection of
the model and performer's (my) proffesional skills rather than electronics or detection
algorithm (strings are far from the nec etc.).
Fortepiano is used deliberately. Its sharp attack and timbre at all underline
- baron.mid - something like retro "Baron von der Pshik"
- hndl.mid - something like Handel's Passacalia in g-moll
- karel.mid - Something like "Karelia" song by Kolker
- grnslv.mid - "Green sleeves" with theme from
"Feets of flame" by M.Flatley
- voyeur.mid - "song of the voyeur :)"
("Windows of Moscow") by Utesov
Analysing examples, the conclusion should be done that Tryndelka requires specific
technics to play on:
- guitarist should adapt himself to detector - strings should be striken with enough
strength, otherwise note will not play at all;
- the best technics for play is pinch or pizzicato, when short notes played and then
surely muted by right hand;
- beat style is now acceptable;
- long notes played with organ/accordeon/brass etc. timbres should be explicitly muted,
while on the real guitar they would finish sound due to natural fading;
- sounds of instruments with sharp attack (including guitar timbres of SB Live!) are not
- optimal sound is produced with instruments having medium but expresssed attack and soft
plato or decay, e.g.Harp, Strings or New Age;
- I did not try to play with mediator bacause I have no such skills.